[parted-devel] Parted bootstrap - logic error when comparing version numbers

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:39:19 UTC 2009

Recently I acquired the latest GIT repository for parted
(1.8.8.1.115-d53a) and have discovered a problem with building the program.

The problem is that an 'automake' version >= 1.10a is required.  I am
using 1.10.1, which I believe would be >= 1.10a.

Since the most recent is version of automake is 1.10.2 (see
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/), I think there might be a recently
introduced logic error in the bootstrap file.

Following are the steps to demonstrate the problem:
----------   B E G I N   S T E P S   ----------

$ git clone http://git.debian.org/git/parted/parted.git parted-test
<stuff deleted>
$ cd parted-test
$ ./bootstrap
Error: 'automake' version == 1.10.1 is too old
       'automake' version >= 1.10a is required
Error: 'gperf' not found

Program    Min_version
----------------------
autoconf   2.61
automake   1.10a
autopoint  -
gettext    -
git        1.4.4
gperf      -
gzip       -
makeinfo   -
perl       5.5
rsync      -
tar        -
$

If I perform a 'git pull' from an older parted repository (I just happen
to have lying around ;-), and skip the bootstrap step then I am able to
configure and compile parted.

I suspect that this problem was introduced with a recent commit to the
git repository.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak