[parted-devel] Parted bootstrap - logic error when comparing version numbers

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:50:52 UTC 2009

Jim Meyering wrote:
> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Recently I acquired the latest GIT repository for parted (1.8.8.1.115-d53a)
>>> and have discovered a problem with building the program.
>>>
>>> The problem is that an 'automake' version >= 1.10a is required.  I am using
>>> 1.10.1, which I believe would be >= 1.10a.
>>>

> No.  1.10.1 is *older* than 1.10a.
> And automake-1.10b was recently released, which I consider to be
> stable enough that I used it to bootstrap the stable release
> of upstream coreutils-7.2.

Thank you Otavio and Jim for responding.

I apologize for my misunderstanding that automake 1.10a is actually
newer than 1.10.1.  Letters in the version numbering scheme can often be
confusing due to inconsistency in their use.

If there are bug fixes or features in the newer automake that are
required to build parted, then I fully understand why the newer version
is needed.

If; however, parted can still be built with an older version of
automake, then I do not see a reason for increasing the version number
of automake required.

Regards,
Curtis