[parted-devel] [BUG] failing ioctl when informing the kernel about new partitions

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Thu Jan 15 16:14:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 03:23:16PM +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> Petr Uzel wrote:
> > But isn't BKLPG interface superior to BLKRRPART in the fact that the
> > kernel doesn't need to have support for particular type of disk label
> > compiled in? If this is true, then it might be worth trying to extend
> > BLKPG interface to support this kind of overlapping partitions instead
> > of reverting back to BLKRRPART. What do you think?
>
> To come back to this specific point: I considered this some time ago
> but didn't follow up on it as it seemed there were some difficult
> problems.
>
> We could just relax all the constraints on BLKPG and let userspace do
> whatever it wants, but that seems like it creates potential for a
> misbehaving userspace tool to cause serious chaos.
>
> An alternative is to extend the interface to allow extra annotation
> (e.g. to some how express that two partitions have a relationship such
> as exists with DOS MBRs and extended/logical partitions).

Something similar came to my mind - extend the interface with some flag
saying "this is an extended partition and if that overlaps with
something behind it, it is OK". Shouldn't be difficult.

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                          e-mail: puzel at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                          tel: +420 284 028 964
190 00 Prague 9                             fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                              http://www.suse.cz