[parted-devel] Parted bug fixes, NTFS support and OpenSolaris port

Joel Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Tue May 19 08:30:53 UTC 2009

Hello Mark.

My comments bellow.
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 01:33:11PM -0700, Mark Logan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am porting parted to OpenSolaris. I made five groups of changes:
>
> 1. I fixed a memory corruption bug in gpt.c. The code was assuming that
> the number of partition entries was a multiple of 4.

Against what version of parted did you do these fixes?  I ask because
the Solaris version in google code is _very_ old.  We are now in 1.8.8.1
and are about to release 1.8.9 (soonish :).  So before posting anything
I would check to see if it has already been done.  This applies for all
that you have.

> 2. I have a fully debugged and tested version of solaris.c that another
> project created for Solaris: http://code.google.com/p/solaris-parted/

Again, this is really old and will probably not work with current
parted.

> 3. I have several changes to other files that were necessary to get
> parted working on Solaris. Some of these came from Moinak Ghosh.

If they are changes to the non-architecture specific code of parted, and
the changes are sound, I don't see any problem in applying them.

> 4. I have several changes to get parted compiled with Sun Studio C
> version 12.

Same as previous.  Note that we now heavily use autotools to compile
parted.  So, if your patches are based on parted.1.8.1, it will not
apply to current parted.

> 5. I implemented check, cp, mkfs and resize for NTFS using the utilities
> that are part of ntfsprogs: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

We already have an  libparted/fs/ntfs/ directory.  Maybe you want to
check that out and add to that.

> I would like to contribute these changes back. Are you interested in any
> or all of these changes?

All contributions are welcome.

> Thanks,
> Mark