[parted-devel] SINIX/SNI RM Disk label

Joel Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Wed May 20 09:07:15 UTC 2009

Hello.

Sorry for the very late reply.  but better late then never :)
Question.  Isn't everything LBA now?

In any case, if you are trying to find out the particular geometry from
the scsi mode pages, I think you have to implement code that queries
that for you.  AFAIK, parted does not have this.

Regards.
On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 03:37:38PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
> i am trying to get Siemens Nixdorf (SNI) RM series disk label
> support into parted. The RM series have a prom very similar
> to the SGI Prom and use the same disk label as those (dvh). Additionally
> the PROM needs another disk label at the end of the disk whose format
> i have created a tool 1) to read the SGI disk label and write it onto the disk
> as a SNI Disk label. The problem now is that the PROM reads the disks
> geometry via the SCSI Mode Pages and the read-capacity call and uses
> the reported geometry and writes the label to the beginning of the last
> track. I have now had a look at the parted geometry
> informations - either dev->bios_geom or dev->hw_geom. Of those two
> neither has the real geometry.
>
> Is there a way in parted to access the real geometry and not some pc
> stylish translated ones?
>
> Parted:
> 	hw geom:
> 		Geom: cyl 8637 heads 64 sectors 32
> 	bios geom:
> 		Geom: cyl 1101 heads 255 sectors 63
>
> Real geometry from the scsi mode pages from snitrail 1)
> 	Cyl: 4926 Heads: 27 Sectors: 133
>

> rm200c40:~/snitrail# sginfo -g /dev/sdb
> Rigid Disk Geometry mode page (0x4)
> -----------------------------------
> Number of cylinders                4926
> Number of heads                    27
> Starting cyl. write precomp        0
> Starting cyl. reduced current      0
> Device step rate                   0
> Landing Zone Cylinder              0
> RPL                                0
> Rotational Offset                  0
> Rotational Rate                    7200
>
> rm200c40:~/snitrail# sginfo -f /dev/sdb
> Format Device mode page (0x3)
> -----------------------------
> Tracks per Zone                    27
> Alternate sectors per zone         20
> Alternate tracks per zone          0
> Alternate tracks per lu            27
> Sectors per track                  133
> Data bytes per physical sector     512
> Interleave                         1
> Track skew factor                  45
> Cylinder skew factor               36
> Supports Soft Sectoring            0
> Supports Hard Sectoring            1
> Removable Medium                   0
> Surface                            0
>
> Flo
> 1) It will eat your disk: git clone git://hydra.gt.owl.de/snitrail.git
> --
> Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
> 	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
>           security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin

Joel Andres Granados
Brno, Czech Republic, Red Hat.