[parted-devel] Partition renumbering after a remove

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:31:13 UTC 2009

Joel Granados wrote:
> Hello Curtis:
>
> You are correct my friend :)  That link you gave me made me realize the
> reason why the logical partitions need to be in order.  Your timing
> could not be better as I was playing with the idea of changing parted
> for fedora.

Glad to be of help :-)

>> I believe that this physical chaining of one logical partition to the
>> next dictates the partition number assigned to each logical partition.
>>

> To my knowledge there is no way to assign the part number in the
> extended partition table.  One can do it in the primary partition table,
> look at this thread form fedora installer:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2009-May/msg00284.html
> But for the logical partitions the numbers will be asigned in order of
> the linked list.
>

>> I suspect this behaviour has to do with the nature of chaining one
>> logical partition to another within an extended partition.
>>

> not sure about this.  I'm more inclined with the linked list approach.
> Can you expand more on this.

By chaining I meant the same as a linked list.  Hence I think we are on
the same page on this understanding of how the partition ordering is
assigned.  Basically one starts with the first logical partition within
the extended partition.  Then follow the linked list and for each
partition found, the partition number is increased by one.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak