[parted-devel] Warning message if create partition when a partition is mounted

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:29:36 UTC 2009

Jim Meyering wrote:
> Please explain why you care.
>
> As I've said repeatedly, I think it's an advantage to be warned when doing
> something like that.  That you are pursuing this issue makes me think
> you must have a compelling use case that requires modifying a partition
> table while one of its partitions is mounted.  If so, please describe it.

Good question Jim and I am glad you asked.

The reason I have been following up on this, perhaps incorrectly, is
because there is legacy code in GParted that uses the
ped_disk_commit_to_os() to determine if a device can have it's partition
table re-read by the kernel.  If the function returns a 0, GParted will
display a dialog box indicating the list of devices for which this is a
problem.

I assume (and I could be wrong here) that the kernel _can_ re-read the
partition table because I am able to format and mount the newly created
partition without a reboot.  This leads me to believe that the return
value of this function is in error when re-reading the partition table
of a device with at least one partition mounted.

If you believe that parted is functioning correctly in this regard, then
I will cease delving into this issue.

GParted relies heavily on the parted project for it's functionality.  I
am very thankful to the parted project and all of its contributors for
creating the libparted library.  As such I will work with whatever
decision is made regarding this behaviour.

 From a GParted user perspective I can simply remove the GParted code
that displays this warning message.

Regards,
Curtis