[parted-devel] GPT revamp pushed to "next"

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Oct 23 20:23:03 UTC 2009

I've fixed a few problems in GPT related code
and have pushed a 20-cset series to the "next" branch:

    http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next

The only potentially controversial change set is the one
that reindents all of libparted/labels/gpt.c to use the GNU
indentation style.

I found it distracting enough to have to conform to inconsistent
(spaces sometimes, TABs in other places) indentation styles within
the same file, that it was worthwhile to reindent the entire thing,
consistently, and with --no-tabs.

If anyone has pending patches against that file, obviously they'll
have a hard time applying them.  Sorry.  But it was for a good cause,
because as I see it, the future is not with msdos partition tables,
but rather with GPT ones.

Nearly all of my systems now use GPT partition tables.

I'll have to update NEWS to summarize what these changes do,
but the gist of it is that they fix some low-memory segfaults
and make libparted better at detecting damaged GPT tables.
The latter is done by verifying more CRC32 checksums and adding
a few more sanity checks.

Also, I may have introduced a few leaks on error paths.
If so, I'll fix those soon, too.