[parted-devel] next to master; making a beta release soon; plans

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Thu Sep 17 18:38:07 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Meyering" <jim at meyering.net>
To: "Gilles Espinasse" <g.esp at free.fr>
Cc: "Otavio Salvador" <otavio at ossystems.com.br>; "Parted Devel"
<parted-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: [parted-devel] next to master; making a beta release soon;
plans

> >> Thanks for the feedback.
> >> FYI, here are the UI commands that I'm in the process of removing:
> >>
> >>   mkpartfs
> >>   mkfs
> >>   check
> >>   cp
> >>   move
> >>   resize
> >>
> >> So far, it's looking surprisingly easy.
> >>
> > You would need too to remove the optional fs part in mkpart.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> However I don't think that part needs to go, since it just
> records the FS-TYPE in the newly created partition.
> It doesn't perform any file-system manipulation operation.
>
> Besides, if we remove it, that'd break scripts that
> use mkpart (with that optional argument), too.
>
> > Actually when you compile parted-1.9.0 without fs support, that's a bit
> > disturbing to have the fs-type part described as optional when in fact,
that's
> > not supported at all.
>
> That sounds like a bug with --disable-fs (which I think I've never used!).

I had think first it was a bug but was unsure.
That's what I reported, in unclear way in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2009-June/002914.html

Then I found after 1.9.0 release that it could simply work when removing
fs-type.
But then you need a tool to set hfs type on powerpc.

Gilles