[parted-devel] resizing FAT partitions does not work at all

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:05:08 UTC 2009

Jim Meyering wrote:
> Curtis Gedak wrote:
>
>> The script t3000-resize-fat.sh generates the same results for when I
>> use parted-1.9.0.
>>
>> After some testing, it appears that parted does not like to resize
>> FAT32 file systems if they are smaller than 256MB.
>>
>> By making the below posted changes to the script I was able to create
>> a FAT32 file system of about 256 MB in size (aligned to a cylinder),
>> and then successfully grow it by about 8MB (one cylinder).
>>
>> Hope this helps :-)
>> Curtis Gedak
>>

> Hmm...
> I tried what you suggested, but it still doesn't work with 1.9.
> [however, I did track down one bug: two changes that recently
>  moved from next to master modified FAT file system handling,
>  and one introduced a bug.  I expect to revert them soon.]
>
> Are you sure that your final resize succeeded?
> If so, please show the actual commands you used
> as well as before and after results of running this:
>
>     parted -s $dev u s p
>
> (I tried with 1.9 built from source, and the 1.8.8 from Fedora 11 as
> well as the one from debian unstable -- all with this same result)
> Here are the commands I used:
>
>     dev=/dev/sde
>     parted -s $dev mklabel gpt
>     parted -s $dev mkpart primary fat32 63s 530144s
>
>     # if needed, wait for the partition device (e.g., /dev/sdd1) to appear
>     mkfs.vfat -F 32 ${dev}1
>     parted -s $dev resize 1 63s 546147s
>
> That final parted invocation always fails with this:
>
>     No Implementation: GNU Parted cannot resize this partition to this size.
>     We're working on it!

Hmm... that does seem strange.  I repeated the commands and they worked
on my system here, so there must be something different between my
system and yours that we have not yet identified.

For reference I am running Parted 1.9.0 (compiled from source code tar
ball) on Kubuntu 8.04 kernel version 2.6.24-23-generic.

The commands and the output follow:

root at quad:~# parted
GNU Parted 1.9.0
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) quit
quit
root at quad:~# dev=/dev/sdd
root at quad:~# parted -s $dev mklabel gpt
root at quad:~# parted -s $dev mkpart primary fat32 63s 530144s
root at quad:~# mkfs.vfat -F 32 ${dev}1
mkfs.vfat 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
root at quad:~# parted -s $dev u s p
Model: ATA ST3160022ACE (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End      Size     File system  Name     Flags
 1      63s    530144s  530082s  fat32        primary  msftres

root at quad:~# parted -s $dev resize 1 63s 546147s
root at quad:~# parted -s $dev u s p
Model: ATA ST3160022ACE (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 312581808s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End      Size     File system  Name     Flags
 1      63s    546147s  546085s  fat32        primary  msftres

root at quad:~#

Please let me know what other steps I can take to assist with solving
this problem.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak