[parted-devel] Bug: Removal of BLKPG causes regression of ability to manipulate disks with other partitions in use

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 20:17:03 UTC 2010

Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 2:38 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>
>> NOTE:  If I unmount the higher mounted partition (e.g., umount
>> /dev/sda2) then parted does correctly recognize the file system properly
>> on the lower partition (/dev/sda1).
>>

> Wow, that is very strange.  I have no idea what could be causing that.

I agree.  Very strange indeed.

To quickly see if the problem existed in the old parted-1.8.8, I booted
up GParted Live 0.4.6-1.  After performing the same series of steps with
gparted I did not experience the problem of parted failing to recognize
the file system.

Based on this we can't simply conclude that the problem was introduced
by code changes to parted.  Besides the code changes between parted
versions 1.8.8 and 2.2 (with the BLKPG patch), many other things have
changed too, such as the GNU/Linux kernel and udev.

Ideally to isolate the problem down to parted only, I need to compile
parted 1.8.8 for use with the ubuntu-10.04-beta2-desktop-i386.iso
image.  I will try installing Ubuntu 10.04-beta2 and then compiling
parted-1.8.8 to re-test the parted file system recognition problem.

Regards,
Curtis Gedak