[parted-devel] Bug: Removal of BLKPG causes regression of ability to manipulate disks with other partitions in use

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 20:51:15 UTC 2010

Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 4/14/2010 4:17 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>
>> Ideally to isolate the problem down to parted only, I need to compile
>> parted 1.8.8 for use with the ubuntu-10.04-beta2-desktop-i386.iso
>> image.  I will try installing Ubuntu 10.04-beta2 and then compiling
>> parted-1.8.8 to re-test the parted file system recognition problem.
>>

> I'm a little confused.  You ran into this problem testing the Ubuntu
> 10.04 beta 2 release?  Using the parted package shipped with that
> release, or one you compiled yourself from upstream?

My testing used the parted package shipped with the Ubuntu 10.04 beta 2
release.  My understanding is that this beta distribution uses a version
of parted that includes the BLKPG patch.  I am basing this on an excerpt
from
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/parted/parted_2.2-5ubuntu4/changelog

 -- Colin Watson <cjwatson at debian.org>  Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:25:35 +0000

parted (2.2-1ubuntu4) lucid; urgency=low

  [ Phillip Susi ]
  * put-back-BLKPG.patch: Upstream removed the code using the new
    BLKPG ioctls instead of the old BLKRRPART ioctl to update the
    in-kernel partition table.  This patch reverses that change.
  * error-check-BLKPG.patch: Add error checking to the BLKPG code to
    fix up the old BLKPG code to satisfy upstream.  (LP: #540940)
  * Refresh quilt patches.

Using the Ubuntu Live CD was the fastest way for me to test this patch
to parted.

If you wish I can also try to recreate the problem using a plain vanilla
parted-2.2 with the BLKPG patch applied.

Regards,
Curtis