[parted-devel] french translation of parted 2.2.5 man page

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Apr 21 15:34:25 UTC 2010

Duflot Jean-Luc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am translating in french the parted V2.2.5 man page , as I did it
> for the previous versions.
>
> I have a question about the english version : a new option has beeen
> added to define the alignement type. It is written, for the type
> "minimal" :
>
> Use minimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This
> and the opt value will use layout information provided by the disk to
> align the logical partition table addresses to actual physical blocks
> on the disks. The min value is the minimum aligment needed to align
> the partition properly to physical blocks, which avoids performance
> degradation.
>
> It is not clear for me what and where is exactly this "opt value" and
> how it "will use layout information provided by the disk" ?

Via the --align=HOW (-a HOW) option, one may specify how
parted should align partitions when it has some flexibility.
If "HOW" is specified as "opt" (or "min"), parted must query
the disk (via the kernel and the libblkid library) to determine
what alignment and offset is recommended for best performance (or
minimal alignment).

For example, some disks have 4KiB sectors internally.  For such a disk,
you typically want to align the start of each partition to match the
start of one of those sectors.  Thus, assuming 512-byte sectors and an
internal offset of 0, you'll want the starting sector number to be a
multiple of 8 (4096 / 512).  That's "minimal".  "optimal" may require
an even coarser alignment, say to a 128KiB or 1MiB boundary.

> I will be able to finish the translation only when I will understand
> what that means.

Thanks for translating!