[parted-devel] [Parted-maintainers] Debian Bug #578097: No support for CMS-formatted disks in parted

Stephen Powell zlinuxman at wowway.com
Wed Apr 21 18:28:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:44:59 -0400 (EDT), Jim Meyering wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I'm not a lawyer, but I hereby grant to FSF all rights that they want or need
>> in order to include any of my code under the same license that parted currently
>> uses.  If you're worried about IBM, the closest thing to IBM code that I
>> used was the structure mapping of the CMS volume label, which was taken
>> from the linux kernel source tree (arch/s390/include/asm/vtoc.h).  I changed
>> the data types to correspond to the user-defined data types that parted uses,
>> but the structure mapping and field names were taken from there.  So there
>> should be no problem with IBM.  If there's anything else you need, let me
>> know.
>
> Your patch is large enough that we have to require
> a signed copyright assignment.
>
> Here's the relevant section from HACKING:
>
>   http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=blob;f=HACKING#l428
>
> Sorry for the hassle (it'll mean you sending an email,
> waiting for snail/paper mail, and signing and sending that
> back to the FSF), but it's for a good cause.

OK, I'll do the paperwork.  But did you start with my raw changes, or
did you start with Jonathan Nieder's modifications to my changes?
If the latter, perhaps he needs to sign off too?  I submitted
my changes to Debian.  Jonathan saw the bug report, massaged those
changes a little bit, then submitted them to upstream.  If you
got the changes directly from my web site via the links in the
Debian bug report, then Jonathan is not involved, except as an
interested party.  But if you started with Jonathan's modifications
to my changes, then he may need to sign off too.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :