[parted-devel] File System Type Not Detected with 4096 byte Sector Size Device

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 20:28:31 UTC 2010

Jim Meyering wrote:
> Thank you for the report and detailed reproducer.
>
> This is not surprising, since I have made no effort whatsoever to adjust
> the bit-rotting file-system-specific code in parted to work with >512-byte
> sectors, and the ext[234] type-detecting code is part of that.
>
> Unless it's easy to fix, I would like to eliminate the code that parted
> currently uses for that and to use code from a well-maintained library
> instead, but haven't looked into it at all.

Thanks for the quick response Jim.

My testing using blkid to detect file systems on devices with a 4096
byte sector size has proven quite promising.  One difference of note is
that blkid does not display an entry for extended partitions.

Perhaps libblkid might be a candidate if the decision is made to used a
different library for file system detection.