[parted-devel] Partition move function

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 29 13:39:47 UTC 2010

It has come to my attention that gparted can correctly move ext3/4
partitions while parted can not.  It seems that gparted has its own move
implementation instead of using the one in libparted.  I was wondering,
is this the case, and if so, why has that not been moved to libparted so
that both can benefit from it?

When I try moving a partition with parted, it complains about what
feature bits are in use on the filesystem, but why does it care?
Shouldn't it just be reading a number of blocks from the original
location and writing them to the destination?  Well, I suppose it would
be nice to consult the block allocation bitmap so you can skip blocks
not in use, but not strictly required.