[parted-devel] File System Type Not Detected with 4096 byte Sector Size Device

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Apr 29 21:39:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 03:08:02PM -0600, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Curtis Gedak wrote:
>>> My testing using blkid to detect file systems on devices with a 4096
>>> byte sector size has proven quite promising.  One difference of note
>>> is that blkid does not display an entry for extended partitions.
>>>

>> Do you mean that libblkid does not display a file system type for
>> an msdos extended partition?  That makes sense, since the
>> extended partition is just a container for other partitions,
>> and hence has no file system of its own.
>
> I have not worked with the libblkid library directly myself.  It might
> or might not recognize an msdos partition table extended partition.
>
> My observation is that the blkid command will not return any textual
> information if run on an extended partition.

It depends on version, from the current git tree:

  # blkid -p -o udev /dev/sda2
  ID_PART_ENTRY_SCHEME=dos
  ID_PART_ENTRY_TYPE=0x5
  ID_PART_ENTRY_TYPE_ENC=0x5
  ID_PART_ENTRY_NUMBER=2

anyway, I don't think this is important detail for parted. The
libparted has all necessary information to probe for filesystems on
proper devices.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>