[parted-devel] Logical sector size warning still accurate?

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Feb 26 15:06:16 UTC 2010

Colin Watson wrote:
> libparted still includes this warning:
>
>         if (dev->sector_size != PED_SECTOR_SIZE_DEFAULT) {
>                 ped_exception_throw (
>                         PED_EXCEPTION_WARNING,
>                         PED_EXCEPTION_OK,
>                         _("Device %s has a logical sector size of %lld.  Not "
>                           "all parts of GNU Parted support this at the moment, "
>                           "and the working code is HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL.\n"),
>                         dev->path, dev->sector_size);
>         }
>
> Is this still accurate?  Given that we've now had a stable release
> advertising support in its NEWS file for >512-byte sectors, it seems odd
> that libparted still throws an exception when it encounters such disks.

That warning is still apt for some use cases.
Is it causing trouble?

If you limit your usage to GPT and MSDOS partition tables and
don't use any of parted's file system-related operations,
you may be safe.  But until such disks come into regular use,
it's probably still warranted.

For example, I don't have such a disk (though could probably arrange
for intermittent, inconvenient remote access, if I tried).  Find a
donor and that code will surely get a lot more testing than it does now.