[parted-devel] interested in developing GParted

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:30:05 UTC 2010

Sorry for the late reply to this email.  It would appear that this email
was caught up in a mail queue and was only recently released.

Helping with open source projects can be a rewarding way to contribute
back to the Free Open Source Software community.

An internet search for "how to get started in open source" will return
many interesting links to read.  One useful link I found was "6 Easy
Ways to Get Started Programming Open Source":
http://grok-code.com/108/6-easy-ways-to-get-started-programming-open-source/

Since this is the parted mailing list, I will provide a short
description that outlines some of the differences between the Parted and
GParted projects:

PARTED
The parted project is a stand alone partitioning tool.  It deals
directly with the low level handling of disk device partitions and
provides a library to access these features called libparted.  The
project also includes a command line interface to the libparted
library.  Parted is mostly written in 'C'.  The parted web site can be
viewed at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml

GPARTED
GParted is to a large degree a graphical user interface that uses the
libparted library to perform partition manipulation.  GParted uses other
third party tools to handle file systems not supported by libparted.
GParted is mostly written in 'C++'.  If you would like to help out with
GParted, you can learn more at the following link:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/howtohelp.php

Hopefully this email will help you get started developing Open Source
Software.  :)

Regards,
Curtis Gedak