[parted-devel] Bug: Removal of BLKPG causes regression of ability to manipulate disks with other partitions in use

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 26 15:19:37 UTC 2010

Attached are the two patches I have come up with. They are self
described. I have already been asked by Colin Watson to clean it up a
bit so the coding style conforms ot the surrounding code, which I will
be doing tomorrow. Please let me know what you think about them.

I have done some preliminary testing both using parted and gparted
consiting of having parted add a new partition to the tail end of my
disk with an active lvm partition holding my root volume. I had to use
-a none and switch to sector units to get parted to let me create a
partition in the last cyllinder. I was able to remove the partition with
parted or gparted without warning. Mounting the partion resulted in
parted throwing the warning when trying to delete it, and gparted
showing the locked icon. I believe that it will correctly handle the
case of removing an extended partition causing renumbering because when
it tries to add renumbered partition to the lower slot, it will fail and
throw the warning telling the user to reboot.