[parted-devel] parted crash while reading msdos partition table

rahul dev rahul_dev_agg at yahoo.co.in
Fri Oct 22 03:18:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

  I am seeing a crash at following line in file labels/dos.c in function probe_partition_for_geom()

PED_ASSERT (heads < 256, return 0);

I am using a USB disk (its a new disk) and while trying to read the partition table I obeserve the crash at the above mentioned line.

Looks like libparted failed to derive any geometry based on the partition table entry found on the usb disk.
But my question is why to crash it instead of giving an error like "bad partition table" Or "failed to read the partition table. Bad geometry" Or something like that.

I checked in the latest version of libparted and the same Asserts are present there as well. Any suggestions on what should be done as my code that uses libparted APIs keeps crashing when this usb disk is inserted.

thanks a lot for any help.