[parted-devel] How large is a GPT?

Håkon Løvdal hlovdal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 22:50:38 UTC 2011

Background:

I just updated one of my older machines to Fedora
16. Since I was upgrading from Fedora 10, I got bit
by the problem with grub2 not properly replacing grub,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/Common#Upgrade_from_Fedora_14_or_15_to_Fedora_16_with_preupgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_configuration.

So in the process of manually fixing this after the upgrade, I found
out from reading the info documentation for grub2 that I should create
a BIOS Boot Partition to embed grub2 code in (since I converted from MBR
to GPT some time ago).

$ parted /dev/sda unit s p
Model: ATA SAMSUNG HD753LJ (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1465149168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start       End          Size        File system  Name  Flags
 1      2048s       1026047s     1024000s    ext4         ext4  boot
 2      1026048s    735029247s   734003200s                     lvm
 3      735029248s  944744447s   209715200s                     lvm
 4      944744448s  1465147391s  520402944s                     lvm

Since the first partition starts at 1MB there is space available in front
of this, so I want to create this BIOS Boot Partition so that it starts
right after the GPT and spans up til the start of the /boot partition.

So my question then is, how do I find the exact size of the GPT?
Should I leave some free space between the GPT and the BIOS
Boot Partition, and if so how much?

BR Håkon Løvdal