[parted-devel] > 63 heads. Why does this keep coming up?

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 01:29:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:22:13PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I assume you didn't mean to take this off list?  Adding the list back to Cc.

oops, yes, this should have gone to the list.

> On 02/28/2011 06:02 PM, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> >What I meant was that the macro, as it exists now, doesn't do anything
> >with the action. It looks like that was changed with commit
> >562e0007840f06f475b43bb81ffe81b238b627b5 which notes that PED_ASSERT
> >shouldn't be used if you don't want it to exit.
>
> So the argument is being phased out?  Then rather than silently
> ignore it, I think a review should be done and the second argument
> either dropped, or the calling code be rewritten to not use
> PED_ASSERT.  Having the vestigial argument there only leads to
> confusion and bugs.

I think both should be done. Remove the PED_ASSERT as your patch does,
and remove the 2nd argument from all remaining uses of it.

> >I don't think they're garbage. fdisk works with them just fine. I think
> >there's a bug in the way parted tries to determine the CHS in some edge
> >cases. I don't know what these are, and I don't think it actually
> >matters -- it should be just fine to return 0 in these cases.
>
> Does fdisk try to guess geometry like this?  I didn't think it does,
> or if it does, then it falls back to sane defaults when the guess
> fails.  I didn't check the math in any specific metadata to see if
> it was a corner case that the code does not handle correctly, but
> whether there is a bug or not, you really can't rely on the CHS
> values and so shouldn't be bailing out if they turn out to be bogus.

sfdisk is where the fdisk chs code lives, it looks to me like it is
guessing, but the code isn't as well commented as parted's.