[parted-devel] Free space alignment

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 15 17:00:12 UTC 2011

I think that this is an error in parted, but I wanted to run it by
everyone before trying to fix it.  When using optimal alignment parted
now prefers to create a partition starting at sector 2048, but parted
print free still lists free space starting at the first track.  I am
assuming that the 1mb change just forgot to update the free space
calculations as well?

The problem this causes is that automated tools looking for where they
can start a partition direct parted to go back to starting it on track 1
instead of at 1mb in, and if the partition does start at the 1mb mark,
shows users an annoying sliver of free space at the start of the disk.