[parted-devel] Resize removal

Petr Uzel petr.uzel at suse.cz
Tue Nov 29 15:27:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:03:09PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I know it has been a long standing goal to remove the filesystem
> specific bits from (lib)parted, but rather than remove the resize
> command entirely, would it be acceptable to reimplement it as a pure
> partition resize operation without any filesystem manipulation?

Hi Phillip,

This has been discussed on this list some time ago:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-devel/2011-June/003873.html

and it has been on my TODO list since then. I have some code that is
working, but contains quite some TODOs - I'm attaching it here in case
you would like to have a look. If you would like to finish/rewrite it,
I would be more than happy as we need it in openSUSE, but I didn't
find time to finish it myself yet.

The idea is to have resize command, which moves only the end of the
partition. If it is expanding, it is considered safe operation. With
shrinking, we should at least warn that it is unsafe and could destroy
the data.

Next, there would be move command, which can move the start (and end)
of the partition, but dos not alter its size. Obviously, data would be
copied as well without knowing anything about the filesystem.

This makes two simple and orthogonal FS-agnostic operations, but I
haven't discussed it with anybody yet, so there might be far better
proposals how resize/move should work.

Petr

--
Petr Uzel