[parted-devel] Custom partition GUID/ID.

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 22:59:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 12:25:59PM +0530, dE wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently it appears the parted program does not have the ability to
> change/create partitions with custom ID (MSDOS) and GUID (gpt). Is there any
> way to do so?
>
> And in case the ID/GUID is something that the parted program does not
> recognize, the Flags section of the print command is blanked out.
>
> I would suggest that it shows the GUID or the HEX code of the partition's
> ID.
>
> Also the list of predefined GUID and IDs are very limited.
>
> Thanks for any help!

I looked into doing this a few months back. The way that parted is
written means that doing something like this would result in fairly
extensive changes to the codebase for a feature that really isn't
needed.

I am planning on fixing individual partition print though, and I think
it would be useful to include the exact GUID  in that output.