[parted-devel] Copyright assignment form for parted

Phil Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 21 19:52:51 UTC 2015

On 8/28/2015 4:48 PM, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> I'm working on getting the Fedora ppc64 secondary arch install process
> working again for Mac G5 machines.
>
> As  part  of  this, I'm developing some patches to improve support for
> mac  (Apple  Partition  Map)  disk volumes to parted and GParted. This
> includes support in libparted for:
> - A new "map" flag (PED_PARTITION_APPLE_PARTITION_MAP)
> - A new "apple_map" filesystem type
>
> This  means  GParted  see  the  Apple_partition_map  partition  as  an
> "Unknown"  filesystem,  and prevents users from accidently deleting or
> reformatting that partition.

I'm having trouble seeing what these will be used for, could you explain
a bit more?  Also why do you want to change the way it works?  You say
that the unknown filesystem makes gparted not let you screw it up, but
that's a good thing isn't it?

> In  discussing this with Brian C. Lane, he suggested I may need to get
> a  copyright  assignment filled in. A search of the list archives send
> me to the gnu page which seems to indicate that the project owner (Jim
> Meyering  ?) needs to send me the doc to complete. Once I have that it
> should  be straight forward - I write server software at a bank for my
> day job, and they have no issues with me contributing to open software
> projects.

IIRC, you get the form from the GNU legal department and send it back to
them.  Jim stepped down and Brian and I currently are the maintainers
for parted.