[parted-devel] Some thoughts on filesystem in parted

Wang Dong dongdwdw at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Mar 15 06:09:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am reading the code of filesystem in parted these days.  And I have
some question about this module.

1. Parted cannot just initialize filesystem on partition. But there is
an option for the filesystem specifying? Why?
     Is this option redundant?

2. There is a filesystem module in parted. It is. If it is not used to
specified the type of partition filesystem when partitioning. From my
     knowledge of the code. All the interfaces just are used to rescue
partitions and disk sanity check (ped_disk_check).
     I can not find where is ped_disk_check is called. I just read its
comment, "check the sanity of disk". But how is this function
     used? I found no clue of  this. If this function is not used, which
means filesystem module is only used for partition rescue.

So the filesystem in parted is only used to recognize filesystem types?
Or I missed something? Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Best regards.

Wang Dong