[parted-devel] Discussion: Allow empty name for GPT partitions to fix systemd errors

Sebastian Parschauer sparschauer at suse.de
Thu Apr 20 08:01:33 UTC 2017

Hi Phil, Brian and others,

I'd like to point to systemd errors caused by same names for GPT
partitions. Ours all have the name "primary" at the moment causing
"journalctl -p err -b0" to show error messages like:

"Dev dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-primary.device appeared twice with
different sysfs paths"

Also gdisk sets default names like e.g. "Linux filesystem".

We should be able to provide GPT partitions without a name. The UEFI
spec doesn't define if that name may be empty. It just has to be NULL
terminated. Or can you point to a document stating explicitly that the
name may not be empty?

Should we change the mkpart syntax from
mkpart name [fs-type] start end
mkpart [name [fs-type]] start end
?

That doesn't provide us a chance to provide the fs-type with empty name.

Or should we use a special keyword like this:
mkpart \<empty\> [fs-type] start end

I prefer the special key word. That just causes
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/\x3cempty\x3e
to be created in case this feature is not implemented.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Sebastian