[parted-devel] Discussion: Allow empty name for GPT partitions to fix systemd errors

Phil Susi psusi at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 21 13:02:41 UTC 2017

On 4/21/2017 7:34 AM, Sebastian Parschauer wrote:
> Thanks, but parted only allows to leave it empty in interactive mode.
> The name is a required argument in script mode.

This appears to be a bug.  Or at least the bug is that parted does not
understand quotes.  My first thought was to simply pass the name
argument as "" for the empty string, but it does not recognize quotes at
all.  Trying to use quotes to give a name with a space in it fails.

> The name can't be optional as otherwise you can't detect if a name or
> fs-type is provided.

You have the same problem deciding if the fs-type is provided or not.
In that case we infer that if it is not one of the known fs-types, then
it must be omitted and we look for a position.  We could do the same for
name, but that would mean you could not name a partition the same thing
as a known filesystem.  I wonder why name was even added as an argument
to mkpart in the first place; that was not a good idea.

I think the best thing to do is fix the broken quote parsing and then
you can just use empty quotes for no name.