[parted-devel] Is it possible to define a partition number when creating a partition?

Christoph Pleger christoph.pleger at cs.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Nov 30 15:33:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am quite new to parted, and I am surprised that neither in the library
nor in the command line tool I can find a possibility to set the
partition number when creating a new partition. For example, MSDOS and
GPT partition types allow empty partition entries, so it is strange that
a user who wants to create partitions 1, 2 and 4 has to create partition
3 as a dummy partition and then delete it, because partition numbers
depend on the order of partition creation. Or am I missing something?

Regards
   Christoph