[parted-devel] Question about partition id's

Kristian - mail.kristian at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 17 21:33:26 UTC 2017

I agree with you Phil, parted should hide complexity to the user. But I don't think this information is useless for all users, or better speaking: for all library front end's. I see that parted does not display this information, and maybe it is not interested in. Anyway, this information is stored in the partition table but, using libparted, we can't read or modify it without extremely crappy trick's. Other partitioning programs let the user view and change this field. Why programs using libparted shouldn't offer this functionality?

    Il Martedì 17 Ottobre 2017 22:21, Phil Susi <psusi at ubuntu.com> ha scritto:

 On 10/16/2017 3:44 PM, Kristian - wrote:
> I have seen that parted library tries to understand the filesystem
> contained in a partition, but does not provide the id associated with
> the partition. For example, in msdos tables, for each partition there
> is a byte indicating the partition type. In GPT tables this id is 16
> bytes long, and in other tables may be different. Do you intend to
> make this information available in the future? I could help if
> needed.

parted was designed to hide such inane and useless complexity from the
user.  The partition type code mostly only matters to Windows.  Linux
doesn't care what the code is.