[parted-devel] Atari label false positives

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat May 12 08:59:30 BST 2018

On 05/12/2018 01:17 AM, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> The link order in the kernel (atari before msdos) has not been chosen at
> random. The msdos partition format probe will always succeed on any
> valid Atari partition table, while Atari format probe should not succeed
> on plain MSDOS partitions.
>
> Do the reporters if these bugs have Atari partition format enabled in
> their kernels? I would expect the same false positives to happen there,
> if the atari_probe() code is functionally equivalent to the kernel
> partition probe code.
> Do you have a dump of the root sector (plus additional eventual extended
> partition root sector) from these bugs?

This is a very good point. We should have a look at the probing code in
the kernel because apparently the problem doesn't exist there.

And, yes, it would be interesting to get a dump of these boot sectors as
I haven't run into the problem myself and would be very curios why
the misdetection happens.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz