[parted-devel] Preparing for a parted 3.3 release Try #2 (or 3?)

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 23:50:58 BST 2019

I actually have a patchset that I can run the README-release steps on.

The changes are here:

https://github.com/bcl/parted/pull/6

But there are some things I would like feedback on:

* I turned off -Werror in configure.ac

  Even with the alignment issues fixed I was running into an error that
  I could not debug. The build would stop after CC disk.lo, but with no
  error output. Without -Werror it builds fine, passes the tests, etc.

  I also think that with the new level of warnings from gcc we should
  not let them stop new builds, fix them as time permits, but we need to
  get to the point where we can do regular releases first.

* I want to make sure my change to efi_guid_t looks ok.

  It was using a unsigned char * point a struct element that really is
  aligned, but gcc doesn't seem to know it. So I dropped the cast
  completely. The tests pass, but more people looking at it would be
  good.

* The biggest change is in bsd.c

  This is another change triggered by the alignment complaints, but it
  just seemed wrong to me, so I made more changes there than anywhere
  else. Needs more eyes, especially from BSD users :)

Everything else is pretty small, mostly driven by trying to get make
distcheck working -- which it does, for me. So please try it on your
distribution, architecture, etc.

Thanks!

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted