[parted-devel] reproducible output

Steffen Dettmer steffen.dettmer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:51:22 BST 2019

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:17 PM Steffen Dettmer
<steffen.dettmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> for an embedded system I'd like to use parted to create a disk image
> using a command like
>
>   parted -s -a optimal $imgname mklabel msdos mkpart primary ext2 0% 100%
>
> followed by some "mke2fs $opts -d config_root_fs/ $loop".
>
> I would like to have reproducible (or "stable" or "cachable") output
[...]
> Probably there are more places (GUID in filesystem and such), so
> probably it makes no sense to write a patch for "mklabel msdos", what
> do you think?

That seems to be the case, mke2fs also creates quite different output,
so I simply checked in the result to VCS (just a few KB compressed).

Still I'd like to learn more, so I appreciate any thoughts.

Maybe future versions could use getenv(SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH) [1], if it exists?

Regards,
Steffen

[1] https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/source-date-epoch/