[parted-devel] Improving project organization documentation

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Mon May 13 09:31:18 BST 2019

Hey folks,

I've been trying to report a bug in parted, but I'm a bit confused with
the documentation about the organization of the project. It seems some
parts are outdated and might need to be updated? I think I have figured
out most of it (and can report my bug next), but I have some specific
suggestions on things to improve.

In particular:

 - I've found https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/ which seems to be the
   main page for this kind of stuff.

 - This page talks about lists.alioth.debian.org, but Alioth as such no
   longer exists. There is a new alioth-lists.debian.net that has
   preserved just the list part of Alioth. The e-mail address
   mentioned still work (I suppose), but it might be good to update it
   to the new canonical address of parted-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net

 - It might also be good to link to the list info and archive page at
   https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/parted-devel

 - I've found the archives for the bug-parted list at
   https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-parted. However, the
   subjects of all these messages suggest that there is some bug tracker
   active, but the savannah page shows none. With some googling I found
   https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=parted and
   apparently e-mails to bug-parted at gnu.org automatically create entries
   in that bug tracker? It might be good to link to the bug tracker, so
   people can actually search for open bugs easily and know how to
   respond to them.

 - The savannah project only seems to be used for source, not for bug or
   patch tracking or mailing list. Perhaps it would be good to
   explicitly state this on the savannah project page, since that's were
   I was looking for these things (perhaps just link back to
   https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/?).

 - I've also found https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/features.shtml
   (and some pages linked from there) which seems to be an even older
   version of the https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/ page. These older
   pages are not linked, but are returned by Google. I guess these
   should be removed?

Gr.

Matthijs