[parted-devel] FAT12 support?

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 21:31:00 BST 2020

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 1:59 AM Brian C. Lane <bcl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:24:47PM +0300, Mike Banon wrote:
> > It's sad to see there are no good opensource Linux tools to work with
> > a FAT12 filesystem, it's being unfairly ignored. We shouldn't need
> > Windows to work with the floppies and floppy images.
> >
> > Please add FAT12 support to your library
> >

> parted is not a filesystem tool, it deal with disk partitioning.
>
> If you need to work with FAT filesystems most distributions include
> dosfstools these days.

I really need to resize a FAT12 floppy disk partition to expand it,
and none of the tools I tried - gparted, KDE partitionmanager,
dosfstools, fatresize - do not support this operation. However, if
parted got a FAT12 partition resize support, many of the tools based
on parted would get this support automatically.

I just can't understand, why FAT16 and FAT32 resizing is supported,
while a FAT12 isn't, and I have to resort to proprietary Windows-only
tools like winimage. Hope you can fix this injustice.