[parted-devel] FAT12 support?

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:13:32 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM Phillip Susi <phill at thesusis.net> wrote:

> Mike Banon writes:
>
> > I just can't understand, why FAT16 and FAT32 resizing is supported,
> > while a FAT12 isn't, and I have to resort to proprietary Windows-only
> > tools like winimage. Hope you can fix this injustice.
>
> It isn't supported.  Parted removed all support for filesystem
> manipulation years ago.  People complained about the removal of the fat
> resize code because no other tools anywhere else had such support, so
> the code was replaced as a searpate, unsupported library.

Then how the tools like GParted (which are basically a GUI for a
parted library) are resizing FAT16 / FAT32 fine? Are they using the
outdated parted library where the filesystem manipulation has been
possible? I just think, since there are no fundamental differences
between FAT12 and FAT16 / FAT32, it doesn't make sense not to support
the former.