[parted-devel] hfs vs. hfsplus

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 15 19:05:47 BST 2021

Hello!

On 7/15/21 7:29 PM, Curtis Gedak wrote:
>> Is anyone still shipping a mkfs.hfs?
>
> Both mkfs.hfs and mkfs.hfsplus are included with the hfsprogs package in  recent Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2].
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/hfsprogs/filelist
> [2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/amd64/hfsprogs/filelist

Ubuntu just imports the package from Debian in this case :-).

> There is also the older hfsutils package in both Debian [3] and Ubuntu [4].
>
> [3] https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/hfsutils/filelist
> [4] https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/amd64/hfsutils/filelist
>
> It appears that openSUSE also ships hfsprogs [5] and hfsutils [6].
>
> [5] https://build.opensuse.org/search?search_text=hfsprogs
> [6] https://build.opensuse.org/search?search_text=hfsutils

Actually, we currently don't ship hfsprogs in the official openSUSE distribution, it's
just available in some unofficial projects in OBS. I should change that and add the
package as non-free (Apple's APSL license is not considered free).

>> Is anyone not shipping mkfs.hfsplus?
>
> For Fedora I found the package hfsutils but not hfsprogs.
>
> [7] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?match=glob&type=package&terms=hfsutils
> [8] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?match=glob&type=package&terms=hfsprogs
>
> In summary it appears that at least Debian, Ubuntu, and openSUSE are shipping both mkfs.hfs
> and mkfs.hfsplus file system utilities.  Fedora seems to only have the older hfsutils package.
Fedora could adopt my patch to re-add support for creating legacy filesystems

In the future, I'm planning to update the Debian package to newer versions of the hfsprogs
upstream code at Apple which has been split out into a separate package [1], it used to
be part of diskdev_cmds up to including version 557.3.1 [2].

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz at debian.org