[parted-devel] how to create compatible msdos partition tables?

Harald Dunkel harri at afaics.de
Sun Apr 17 18:39:01 BST 2022

Hi folks,

I tried to set up a new msdos partition table on a USB SSD using
parted on Linux, but it was no recognized on both MacOS and
Windows 11.

Maybe a stupid question, but how comes?

After initializing the SSD on MacOS it was accepted on Linux as
well, so I wonder if it would be possible to increase parted's
compatibility to others?

Below you can find the parted session on Debian to "break" the
partition table set up on MacOS again. After that the disk was
rejected on MacOS and had to be reinitialized.

Regards

Harri
# parted /dev/sdd
GNU Parted 3.4
Using /dev/sdd
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) u s p
Model: SanDisk Extreme SSD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 976773120s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End         Size        Type     File system  Flags
  1      2048s  976773119s  976771072s  primary

(parted) mklabel msdos
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sdd will be destroyed and
all data on this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue?
Yes/No? yes
(parted) mkpart primary 2048s -1s
(parted) u s p
Model: SanDisk Extreme SSD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 976773120s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End         Size        Type     File system  Flags
  1      2048s  976773119s  976771072s  primary               lba

(parted) q
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.