[parted-devel] how to create compatible msdos partition tables?

Harald Dunkel harri at afaics.de
Fri Apr 22 06:19:11 BST 2022

Hi Brian,

On 2022-04-18 19:11:42, Brian C. Lane wrote:

> Are you sure the problem isn't with the filesystem you create on the
> partition? I don't see any difference between the before and after.
> You could also try it with a gpt label and see if it act differently.
>
> Brian

the filesystem hasn't been touched, as the example to "break" the partitioning
shows.

I cannot convert the ssd to gpt without touching the filesystem partition,
since gpt requires a few bytes at the end of the raw block device. Let's focus
on the msdos label.

Attached you can find the first 512 bytes of both partition tables, as created
by MacOS and broken by parted. They are *not* the same. The rest of the first
MByte on the block device is just zero for both. 2048s is the start of the
first partition.

If I dd the attached first 512 bytes of MacOS' partition table back to the
block device, replacing parted's disk label, then the ssd is accepted on MacOS
again.

Regards
Harri