[parted-devel] how to create compatible msdos partition tables?

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 17:14:41 BST 2022

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 08:55:41AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Would it be possible to extend parted to allow listing and explicitly
> changing the ID after creating the partition? Hopefully I am not too blind
> to see, but I did not find such an option mentioned in the documentation.

This is the only way to set that value. If you don't set an expected
filesystem type it will default to Linux (0x83). I'm not sure I've ever
seen this kind of issue in the past, I wonder if something in MacOS has
become more strict for some reason.

This is an area where parted could use some improvement, it has similar
issues with GPT disks. At one time I looked into adding the ability to
support arbitrary GUIDs but found it would be pretty difficult to add to
libparted, requiring extensive changes.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart