[parted-devel] how to create compatible msdos partition tables?

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 21:53:07 BST 2022

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 08:59:00AM +0000, Arvin Schnell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 09:14:41AM -0700, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 08:55:41AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >
> > > Would it be possible to extend parted to allow listing and explicitly
> > > changing the ID after creating the partition? Hopefully I am not too blind
> > > to see, but I did not find such an option mentioned in the documentation.
>
> > This is an area where parted could use some improvement, it has similar
> > issues with GPT disks. At one time I looked into adding the ability to
> > support arbitrary GUIDs but found it would be pretty difficult to add to
> > libparted, requiring extensive changes.
>
> Last year I made a patch adding a "type-id" and "type-uuid"
> command, see:
>
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/parted-devel/2021-October/005696.html

Ah, right, I see that I flagged those to look at later. At the time I
think, IIRC :), I was thinking that was too much change for the upcoming
release... That took longer to get to than I planned.

I'll take another look at them when you have the bug you just spotted
fixed. I've still got them here in mutt, so feel free to just add
patches if you want.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart