[parted-devel] mkpart: use same end and start value for two partitions?

Oliver Smith ollieparanoid at postmarketos.org
Fri Jul 22 08:49:04 BST 2022

Hi Phillip,

Phillip Susi:
> Have you recently upgraded from an ancient version of parted, or changed
> the script to use M instead of m?  iirc, M stands for MebiByte which
> requires an exact power of two size.  m is for megabyte and leaves a
> little room for rounding and so the two values can be the same and will
> be rounded slightly to fit.

I have not recently upgraded from an ancient version of parted. The
previous version was parted 3.4. Also I didn't change the letters.

But MiB vs MB is a good clue, looks like in _adjust_end_if_iec() in
parted/parted.c it would properly align the partitions for MiB only.

Reading parse_unit_suffix() in libparted/unit.c, it seems
uppercase/lowercase is ignored and:
* "mi" (or "mib"?) is mebibyte
* "m" is megabyte

I'll try that out, thanks a lot!