Perl 5.12 repository pushed to Alioth

Niko Tyni ntyni at debian.org
Tue Mar 30 12:35:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:32:17PM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:

> As 5.12.0 RC0 is due any day now, I'm inclined to skip pushing the
> above to a public git repository and rather redo the process with the
> RC0 tarball.  Let me know if you want something to play with sooner
> and I'll see what I can do.

I've rebased (well, more like redone) my work onto RC1 and pushed it to

 git://git.debian.org/perl/perl-5.12.git

which is browsable at

 http://git.debian.org/?p=perl/perl-5.12.git

Barring any surprises, I hope to merge this repository into our perl.git
proper when 5.12 gets into unstable, so there shouldn't be any rewriting
history anymore. Don't count on it too much though.

I'm currently experimenting with enabling -Duse64bitint on all
architectures (see #310995).

The next aim is to build unofficial binNMUs of (most of?) the 409 arch:any
packages in

 http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-perl/scripts/perl-5.10-transition/perlapi.out?view=markup

and put them available in a public personal repository somewhere. After that
it's possible to do test rebuilds of the 2000 or so arch:all packages
matching /perl/ and see how much breaks.

Somewhere in between an upload to experimental would be a good thing to
see if the beast builds on all platforms and provide a common baseline
package.

As is probably obvious all of this is going to take a while, but it's
mostly scriptable. I think some results can be expected in a week or so,
depending on how soon I get this running.
--
Niko