[Pinfo-devel] Problems with pinfo

Nathanael Nerode neroden at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 26 19:31:15 UTC 2005

> From: Julian Foad <julianfoad at btopenworld.com>
<snip>
>>Julian Foad wrote:
<snip>
>>>(I could probably grow to like the "info" format if the basic GNU
>>>"info" viewer program wasn't so primitive and clunky.
The format's non-internationalized, which is one reason to move away
from it.
<snop>

>>Have you tried 'pinfo'[1]?  If you are a 'vi' user then the keystrokes
>>may be more intuitive than the ones for the 'info' program.
>

> I hadn't tried it, but have just now.  Are you involved with it?  I can't see
> any discussion on its dev mailing list (other than translation into foreign
> languages) or any issues in its issue trackers.  Is it worth me posting these
> comments and bug reports to the list or the tracker?
Yes.  We're a pair of users who are sort of reviving it -- the original
dev appears to have abandoned it.

> Well, I'll see - I'm
> copying this to that list.
>
> Just highlighting the links, and displaying man pages with highlighting, make
> it a lot more friendly.
>
> I wish it wouldn't put two colons after menu entries.  That smacks of
> displaying the raw source, and is one of the things that made the old "info"
> program look ugly.
>
> I found a few keystrokes by trial and error: UP, DOWN, ENTER, /, Q, and a
> couple of others.  I was unable to find help on keystrokes: none of "h", "?",
> ":help" worked.  I didn't find a way to return to the page I'd last been
> viewing: neither vim's "^O" or "^^", nor the old "info" program's "L" (which
> has a new meaning) did it.
LEFT, I  believe.

We do need a keystroke help page.  Most of the keystrokes are copied
from 'lynx', IIRC.

> When invoked like this:
>

>>~/src/grep> ../pinfo-0.6.8/src/pinfo -f doc/grep.info
>

> when visiting a node other than the top, pressing "h" results in:
>

>>File not found. Press any key...
>>Unexpected error.

There's a bug.  Have we fixed that one yet, bas?

Incidentally, we need a way to squash the foreign-language spam coming
through this list.