[Piuparts-devel] piatti xen setup

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Sep 24 19:44:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Saturday 22 September 2007 10:35, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I'd like to discuss and plan this setup a bit here, before implementing it.

Huhu - anybody else? (Except Lars, who said on IRC he'll reply as soon as he
finds time...)

> Or should/can this be solved by dynamically adding and removing memory to
> the domU instances?

Yes, it can. So we can run the main domU with 3,9 GB all the time (leaving
128mb for dom0), and when someone wants to start another domU, the big one
gets 512mb less and the new one gets it. Until, say, the big one has only
1.5gb left, when no new domUs can get created.

> So much for now, feedback welcome.

For faster creation of domUs, I plan to convert the /home-Partition of piatti
into a (smaller) lvm volume, this should be pretty straightforward, except
that I'll need to destroy+rebuild the mirror (and backup the rest of home
over the network), this will "only" cause some network traffic. Which I hope
is not really a problem, as ftp.fi.debian.org is quite close^w^wjust one
university hop away. Right?

Which brings me to the next issue. Network. Lars, do you think it would be
possible to get another IP address for piatti?

If so, the dom0 would have one IP and the "main domU" the other. The other
domUs (the ones temp. created by developers) would then be accessable via
xen-shells serial console feature (from the dom0) or via a routed private
network from the "main domU".

Obviously it would even be better to have more real IP addresses (like
8)... ;)

And again: so much for now, feedback welcome.

regards,