[Piuparts-devel] Bug#652934: Bug#652934: Packaging piuparts-server
dsteele at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 21:02:14 UTC 2011
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org> wrote:
> And, currently your branch consists of 5 commits, I'd really like to find a
> way to "merge" the piatti.git repo with keeping it's history... this should be
> possible somehow.
Sorry for the delay - I have been relatively offline.
It is possible to incorporate the piatti repository into piuparts as a
git submodule, preserving its history, but you may want to consider
the ramifications. The repositories would be linked, but would need to
be maintained separately. For instance:
- in general, git command scope does not span repositories and submodules.
The behavior will change relative to the current working directory
- "git clone" becomes 3 commands. "git clone", ("cd piuparts"),
"git submodule init" and "git submodule update"
- The initial patch submission becomes a three step process:
1) merge piatti changes
2) update the .gitmodules file in the new piuparts to point to the
"piatti for piuparts-server"
3) merge this updated piuparts upstream
In short, it may be considered a long term annoyance. OTOH, preserving
piatti would make it easier to inspect my changes. This information
can be seen in the 5 commits, but not laid out exactly like piatti.
Let me know if you still want this type of setup, or if you have a
better way to maintain piatti history.
More information about the Piuparts-devel