[Piuparts-devel] Piuparts state-dependency-failed-testing analysis

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Nov 1 12:46:11 UTC 2011

Hi Dave,

On Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2011, Dave Steele wrote:
> There are currently close to 3000 packages
> in state-dependency-failed-testing that can be traced to one or more
> state-failed-testing packages. That number actually went down quite a bit
> in the last week, when libgtk2.0-bin passed, clearing hundreds of packages
> for testing.

cool, I will reschedule some more for re-testing then.

> There are less than 300 packages in state-failed-testing holding up those
> tests. The blocking distribution is typically very skewed. At any given
> time, half of the packages in state-dependency-failed-testing may be held
> there, directly or indirectly, by 3 to 5 packages. Eliminating
> libgtk2.0-bin last week exposed libreadline6 as the new top blocker.

The problem is, those blocking packages are really blocking the dependending
packages from being tested correctly. So the only fix is to fix those blocking
packages.

(And if you cannot upload, you can still submit bugs and patches!)

> Here's the output of a script that scrapes
> http://piuparts.debian.org/sid/state-dependency-failed-testing.html and
> analyzes blocking packages:
[...]
> This output says that there are currently 2899 packages
> in state-dependency-failed-testing traceable to a state-failed-testing
> package (that doesn't exactly match Piupart's count of 2920). 274 packages
> are responsible for that blocking. More than half of them (1588) are
> blocked by a single package, libreadline6. 1005 of those packages would be
> cleared for testing by removing only libreadline6 from the list of
> blockers. Possibly, at least some of those exposed packages may have
> blocking numbers in the 1000 range (e.g. 'python' is in that list).

thats a nicer distinction than what my script provides. I guess I will use
yours, or take some ideas at least ;)

> The source for the script piublocker is at
> https://github.com/davesteele/piublocker

I'm currently offline, so cannot look myself: is it written in shell or
python? Or something completly different? ;)

In any case, such a list of blockers should be included in piuparts-reports
ASAP.