[Piuparts-devel] Piuparts state-dependency-failed-testing analysis

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri Nov 4 17:07:16 UTC 2011

Hi Scott,

On Mittwoch, 2. November 2011, Scott Schaefer wrote:
> The problem almost certainly is that some other process is modifying the
> c_time value of the tgz file.  I could attempt to test that here (and
> may in a couple of days), but as an alternative ....
>
> Recall that when we first introduced this code, it would consume large
> amounts of CPU "continually" trying to create the tgz, but failing.  So
> we added a rate-limit config parameter: min-tgz-retry-delay.  When the
> file is "too old" (now - m_time value), the (assumed) time since last
> retry (now - c_time) is checked vs. this value.  With another  process
> modifying the c_time value, this never exceeds the config value, and the
> .tgz is thus never recreated.
>
> I have pushed a new "bug/recreate_tgz" branch to the git repo.  This is
> a two-line change to piuparts-slave.py to log the various values used to
> determine if a rename/recreate should be attempted.  This should
> prove/disprove the above theory (though we will have to wait until the
> newly-created file is "too old" for proof).

I've merged this into the piatti branch now and am running this on piatti now.

We won't have to wait for long:

holger at piatti:/org/piuparts.debian.org/slave$ ls */*gz -la
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 44523636 31. Okt 19:26 lenny2squeeze/lenny.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 55352889 31. Okt 19:24 sid/sid.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53804604 31. Okt 19:22 squeeze/squeeze.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54889814 31. Okt 19:20 wheezy/wheezy.tar.gz

:-)